At 12 months children can usually…
- understand about 10 words
- respond to their name
- recognise greetings and gestures, such as ‘hi’ and ‘bye-bye’
- recognise a few familiar people and objects (e.g., mummy, blankie, teddy)
- make eye contact.
- start to use sounds, gestures,and say a few words
- continue to babble
- copy different sounds and noises.
Speech Pathology Australia. (2019) Communication Milestones. [online] Available https://www.speechpathologyaustralia.org.au [Accessed 29th July 2019]