Reading and writing are essential skills for children to be able to participate fully in their education and learning. Some signs of difficulties you can look for include:
- Not developing confidence with letters and sounds.
- Not learning to recognise alphabet letters.
- Showing poor awareness of sounds in speech.
- Mispronouncing several longer words.
- Persisting with immature grammar.
- Not developing the ability to tell stories and give explanations.
- Not showing an interest in listening to stories.
- Not reading grade-level texts fluently and accurately.
- Not using a strong range of spelling strategies.
- Not able to make inferences as they read.
Development of literacy skills and how Speech Pathology can help: